Thursday, June 28, 2012

My thoughts on reactions to 6th

Different Perspectives

So as I anxiously await my book, I have been reading a few more blogs than normal and I am distressed by the number that are already planning reactions to the new ruleset.

I'm not talking about the tweaking of army lists, but the bold statements of outlawing parts of the book. 

Over-Reaction #1
TWO Force Org Charts at 2000 points.
This is simple, either play a bit smaller games, 1999 or 1750 or somewhere in between, or admit that at 2000 points and above the Force Org Chart gets a bit restrictive.

Over Reaction #2
Allies
To include two allied detachments if you use a second Force Org Chart.  I don't see this breaking the game, or the first sign of the apocolypse, but it seems a fun way to use some new models in a game without having a whole army built.  The guard and Space Marine combos should be quite fun to see.  Since we don't know how any of the FAQ's will affect armies with special characters and uber-leet rules, it is just too early to cry foul.  Has the game changed? Yes.  I think its going to be more fun.  I have freinds who will love these rules for the possibilities of Demons + Chaos, Sisters with Guard, Lost and the Damned.  Heck, you might even be able to build a "counts as" 13th Co with some Space Wolves and White Scars or maybe Blood Angels.

Over Reaction #3
Fortifications
I think that we will find that we will start to love this slot.  It's one piece of terrain, that if included, takes points away from the army list.  You want the big tower, that's 220 less points of guys on the table.  I can't wait to see some of the awesome terrain included on display boards actually be able to be used in game.  My biggest worry is that this will mean even less terrain placed on boards.

Over Reaction #3
Mysterious Terrain / Random Objective effects.
I actually like the idea that we don't know what is in some of the terrain.  I think the reactions of those who will disallow this without first playing a single game with it is crazy.  Honestly, if you are so worried about the changes, find some people who feel the same way and keep playing 5th edition.  I think you should be able to find the rulebooks on ebay really cheap once yours wears out.

Anyways, here's hoping your book arrives soon and you enjoy yourself.




2 comments:

  1. There seems to be a terrain placement chart according to some of the rumors. Divide your table into 2x2 ft squares and roll a d3 for each... each player takes turns placing terrain until each square has the required amount... or something along those lines. I think this will mitigated and help standardize some of our table top experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds cool, but I'm sure there are a few guys out there that are saying "I'm not going to do that" and "Random Terrain sucks". The 2x2 squares match up to the citadel battlefiled nicely though.

    ReplyDelete