Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Starting Fresh or just touching up


As I prepare for 6th Edition of 40K to arrive, I find myself asking if I should just tweak my armies, or consider a whole new build from the ground up. 

When 5th edition arrived, I mainly made small adjustments and just tweaked the lists a bit.  If I plan to tweak the army, I'll consider what I own first and my established theme of the army and then try and make something work.  This minimizes my expenditures and likely gets me into games with a painted army much quicker.

But, consider if first I look at the new rules, examine the codex and then decide what would be fun to play.  Notice I don't say most effective, because honestly I'm just not that good a player.  But occasionally I can get a theme and a few tactics/strategies to work.

When I see fun models to use that have fairly good rules, I get inspired to do all sorts of conversions and really enjoy the hobby aspect.

I think my Raven Guard are most likely to suffer, especially since they never got finished.  But if I finalize and trim my Space Wolves down, I can of course re-purpose more wolves into ravens.

My Eldar have suffered from never having a set theme and of all my armies could most use the reboot. 

My Imperial Guard have lost their way a bit, and I need to make a choice as to how much armored support they will have.

Well, lets hope the new edition opens some new possibilities and sparks my creativity.

2 comments:

  1. This is an older post but I think it is still relevant. From my perspective it is always better to start fresh. Purely from a painting stand point, a new army can have new techniques and allows development as a hobbiest. I think it is best to build a 1500 pt list then paint it, then move on.

    Allies are where it is at.

    I really like the theme that you have chosen for your guard. I feel that the air cavalry is really cool/ effective with the new flyer rules. You really should post some pics of the slick Aquila on the Valk.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have the IG in a pretty good spot right now, but they might need a few tweaks. I am actually considering rebranding them with a new regimental number, so I can use some decals to put it on them.

    As for my Space Wolves, I think I have a great idea on how to get them ready for 6th, but that'll be its own post.

    ReplyDelete