Thursday, July 05, 2012

Two Portable Fortifications

I figured it was about time I get back to some hobby content, and since I want to try some of the fortifications out, I figured I should go ahead and build some. 

The first one is just an Aegis Defense line.  I initially bought two of these to build my Hydras.  I had been using pieces for terrain on some of my more elaborate bases, but I was able to scrounge up enough for one full set.  As I had built custom turrets, and had mainly just used the guns, I had everything but the autocannons for a quad turret.  Luckily my Space Wolves were willing to give up a pair of autocannon dreadnought arms from a WIP project.  I think it came out pretty good.


I've always wanted a skyshield platform and 6th edition gave me the perfect reason to buy one.  Who doesn't want a 4+ Invulnerable Save (not a cover save mind you) or deep striking without scatter?  All for 75 points.  Plus the thoughts of my opponent trying to wrest control of the pad from me, so he can open it up and deep strike without error on the pad is pretty awesome.  One problem, it is rather large assembled.



Luckily I was able to make it quite modular for transport.  The silver ring and disk were two magnets I had lying around, and I used steel disks glued to girders made of sprue inside the legs.  The two halves fit together quite well without glue.  The only real issue was the side armor bits.  After gluing them together, I carved out notches along the length of thier hinges so that they could snap on and off.


And here it is all stacked up for transport

Here's a close up of the notch I cut in the side armor pieces.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I agree, the Skyshield landing pad is pretty darn big assembled. I really dig how your modularized it!

    ReplyDelete