Monday, November 26, 2012

Realistic (Unintended) Water Effects

So I was pleasently surprised when my order of Realistic Water (tm) from Woodland Scenics arrived this afternoon.  I, of course, dashed right in and skimmed the instructions.  With a twist of the cap, I was pouring the milky liquid.  I was quite happy when I saw that my sideboards and seals were holding up great.

 
Look Ma, No Leaks...

 
 
Well, I don't have any pictures of the leakage that followed, but somewhere along the wooden counterscarp wall, there was an inadequete seal.  I came back in the room to find a pool of the precious liquid dripping out from the very front edge of the tile. 
 
OMG!
 
So after some strategic clamping and a HazMat crew, I think I've got it solved for now.  But, I'm keeping a close eye on it.
 
So, lesson learned:
 
1.  Pour real water into your planned water feature if there is any possibility of a leak.
 
Otherwise I have high hopes for it.  As a note, make sure your item will be in a well ventilated but dust free environment for the drying.  The odor isn't unpleasent, it reminds me of Future Floor Polish (Klear for you UK folks), but initially it did get a bit strong.
 
Also, it seems I will need a second bottle to get the depth I wanted. (especially after Operation Leaky)
 
Learn from my mistakes....
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Taking notes as I read this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is going to look really good when done! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could have been worse.. you could have had a huge polystyrene hill that you had completed and then sealed and then added casting resin to in order to simulate a river only to find that it was not *quite* sealed.... not sure who the nincompoop was that allowed that to happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I wonder if it ate away at some of the foam and tunneled its way out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Measure twice, cut once, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, yeah... and its not like I didn't have almost a month to check it. After 24 hours it is the consistency of a thick syrup.

      Delete
  6. I have to say that I am super impressed with your terrain productivity. Awesome concepts and stellar execution.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sir, should come by and see them for yourself. Might as well bring some plastic soldiers with you too.

      Delete
    2. haha sure thing. I sold the Gold knights and the ultras are on ebay. good price too :P *insert ebay plug"

      Delete
    3. Amatuer... No link?

      Delete
    4. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Nicely-Painted-Ultramarine-Space-Marine-Army-1750-Points-/271111008594?pt=Games_US&hash=item3f1f79b152

      there we go!

      Delete