Sunday, January 20, 2013

Packing it All Up


I guess there comes a time in every table-top-wargamer’s life when they consider giving the game up.

It isn’t a lack of time or too many competing interests, but simply a lack of players nearby that shared the same passion for the game. I guess that for the last 4 years I’ve been trying to replicate what I had in the close-knit wargaming community on Okinawa, Japan.  I’ve sadly been unsuccessful.  Not that I put much effort into it, but nevertheless, I cannot bring myself to pack up my mini’s, drive a half an hour and sit around at the local store hoping to get in a game.  And then the chances that I will find a similar player, who desires a narrative game, who wants to ensure both players have fun, who has bothered to paint his army (or has actually made progress since we last met) is quite slim.

So the question becomes, why go forth into near certain disappointment.

Therefore:

It is time for me to pack of my Warhammer 40K stuff into boxes and place them on a shelf. 

And in reality I’m just so disappointed. 

I would have loved to build my Chaos Space Marine warband. 

Allies finally gave me a way to design an Eldar Corsair force (without forge world).

But I’ve lost the spark.

I have all of the tools, I have the creative ability, if not perhaps the exquisite skill with the brush, but I’ve lost the inspiration.  Moreover, for me this is something that cannot be forced.

What do I ultimately plan to do with all of the stuff?  I really don’t know.  I might eBay some of it, but I just don’t care enough to even do that at this point.

I’m not rage-quitting the hobby after my favorite army has been nerfed….I’ve just fallen out of love with it.

So what happens to the blog?  I suppose it gets to stand on its own for a while.  I won’t be pulling It down, but I don’t expect any updates in the near future either.

So, to those of you who’ve read this far, goodbye and thanks for all the fish, er comments.

 

9 comments:

  1. Thats a real pity considering your amazing work. I dont really play 40k anymore largely for the same reasons... socially inadequate players looking to table me at uber beardy math hammer rather than fight out a story in tabletop glory. None of my armies are even moderately competative because theyre all themed and i'll admit the derision from competative players has often left a sour taste in my mouth. These days I generally confine myself to painting and collecting for my own pleasure.
    I really hope you will find a reason to continue with the hobby as you obviously have a huge amount of creative talent and im sure its been an inspiration to many more than just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to hear that, I've enjoyed your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to hear you are leaving, I hope that is just temporary, wish you the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will find that there are a lot of us out there in a similar situation, mate. There is a solution though, right under your nose. If I consider the time I spend on "the hobby" in its entirety, less than 1% of the time is spent playing. The rest is spent converting and painting. And I get the feedback I need from people like you - bloggers - rather than my local gaming group (who overwhelmingly come down on the mathhammer / unpainted side)

    So maybe pack everything away, take a break, then start with a single project - maybe a single squad, and finish it and present it here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was out of it, only picking up the occasional model to paint, not playing for years, then I found a really cool group where I am and I'm back in full swing of it and loving every minute, hopefully you can come across the same soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To echo the others, it's a shame to see you leaving the hobby. I hope you find your spark again, for conversions and painting if not for the gaming side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mate.

    I really struggle at times - especially as family has taken over before I had the chance to get into 6th: that didn't help.

    It seems 6th - which seems designed for great narrative play - is currently still too tempting for competitive games, what with the shininess of flyers, allies and new uber-codices. That's a shame, as it's something of an impediment to me getting back to the club fter a 4 month hiatus.

    Still, I'm half-heartedly painting up some FoW stuff to give me a change (plus it's small enough to keep in the house, unlike my freezing-cold shed-bound 40K stuff!) and when I've fallen out of love before I've always been glad that I've (a) not sold everything, and (b) given myself a chance to rediscover it in time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer - sorry to hear that man, I really enjoyed reading your blog. I'd recommend keeping your minis for the time being, give it a while and see if the hobby mojo comes back in the future. The key thing is doing whatever makes YOU happy - it's just a hobby, not a lifestyle. Sometimes it's time for a new hobby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for the positive comments. I don't plan to sell anything off anytime soon, but the empty workspace is an excellent place for me to do some homework.I think that perhaps if I do break out the stuff it will be to do something in the manner of this http://spyrle.blogspot.com/2012/07/scouts-out-raven-guard-land-speeder.html

    Thanks again and good luck!

    ReplyDelete