My first concept was quite simple:
With PowerPoint, I drew two pylons and a power field. Next I took some foamboard and some plexiglass and made my very first prototype.
Taking the cues from my first attempt, I decided to try and sculpt the pylons out of clay. I used the type of clay that can be baked to cure it. My first sculpt was rather basic. I planned to make one good pylon and then cast up all the others I might need. I had actually never done any resin casting prior to this point, but this seemed like a good project for it.
I continued to work at it and eventually baked my rough sculpt. I then was able to use a dremel tool to help shape the pylon and add the distinctive cut panel look as found on most Eldar vehicles. I actually added more clay and baked the clay at least none more time. The works, but the last layer was more fragile.
I couldn't get the smoothness I wanted, so I eventually resorted to paint and then some greenstuff. There was more dremel use and hand smoothing also. When I had a pylon that I thought would work, I also gave it a nice gloss clearcoat spray to help when casting it.
I was very excited to be casting resin, so I took lots of pictures and posted them on this blog, here
Here we can see the first finished pylon
And here is a completed section of defense line
Then it was time to make a whole bunch more.
I cut my plexiglass and started to compare my set with the Imperial Aegis Defense Line.
Unfortunately, my long section was just a bit longer than the Imperial one, although they both made about the same size enclosed area.
I decided to paint it up in my alaitoc paint scheme snd build a Icarus Lascannon and Quad Gun. I used D-Cannons as the base and added a pulse laser and scatter lasers, respectively.
I used a Tamiya Clear Blue for the power fields. It had a high alcohol content making it dry super fast.
I then began working on the second set.