Skip to main content

Dire Avengers completed...it only took 6 years.


With another squad completed another source of shame passes behind me.  

 I’ve had these Dire Avengers since long before the 4th Edition Codex came out.  While my painting skills have improved considerably since I got my first Eldar miniatures, I did not want to spend a lot of time on these guys.  What I wanted was a squad that would look good on the table and would fit in well with the rest of the army.  While they are pretty standard in color selection, this is mostly because I liked how the standard colors contrasted to provide a pleasing image.  I did not go crazy on details for two reasons.  First and foremost was time, but also, I was concerned with the miniature being too busy and distracting the viewer from the main details, as can been seen while playing.  I’ve seen some nice minis with all sorts of detail, but as you add colors, you detract from the harmony of the mini in my opinion.  I also knew I would be using my gloss coat and took this into consideration. 

The first picture is from Jun 2006, and you can see not much progress was made, other than being primed white, and some enchanted blue and black guns.

The second picture is from May of 2009 and you can see that very little has been done.  This is the state they were in this week when I started on them.  You can see two more squads behind them that look virtually the same today.  In front are the Guardians who have finally escaped the three color shame.


And here they are in their full glory.



The Dire Avengers of the Storm of Vengeance Shrine are known for their extensive use their bladestorm ability.  They will often run from ambush spot to ambush spot while they reload and let their Avenger Catapults cool down. Their Enigmatic Exarch has them train tirelessly to remain vigilant for enemy assaults, so when they bladestorm, they stop just before the weapon would be completely empty and therefore retain the ability to fire into the faces of those who would try to assault them.  Since these shots are taken with overheating and nearly empty Avenger Catapults they lack the accuracy of their normal shots.

Comments

  1. Nice work on your Dire Avengers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they're not detailed, but I'm no longer embarrassed to put them on the table.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making a Dagob-4-H Pattern Chimera

This post will show you how to make a Dagob-4-H pattern Chimera from a standard kit and 3D printed parts.  This is an intermediate level conversion, and should not be undertaken without careful consideration.

This is the painted version of the modified Chimera.  It looks unique, but is still recognizable as a Chimera.


Below you can see the painted one and an unpainted version.  Helpfully, the 3D printed parts have been printed in red PLA.


So what do we need?  One full Chimera kit, and 3 printed pieces.  The .stl files can be found here.

Open the kit and remove the following components.  While a razor saw, like the one shown below is not required, the conversion will be much harder without it.  Also, razor saws are very, sharp.  Some might say they are as sharp as a RAZOR.  Please be careful when cutting.



Starting with the rear hull top, we will cut off the two triangles in the rear as shown below.

Once they are removed, the piece will lay flat.  We will now remove the front half.

Beca…

Building our Ruined Building Part 3

Welcome back,  we are ready to add some battle damage to our perfectly rectangular wall sections and get our ruined building finished up.

My tools used were a cordless drill with a 3/8" (10mm) bit and a pair of diagonal wire cutters.  Before I began, I coated all of the foam in PVA glue and a liberal dusting of sand.  I also coated the upper floors to add some texture.  I also used many pieces of cut up sprue to fill in the gaps where it might not be obvious that models were not supposed to be placed in that spot.  I took some pieces of sprue and used them to brace the upper floors.  Although the for sale sign was good thick plastic, it still flexed enough to concern me.  I used super glue to hold the sprue in place.  In the below view you can see the post added to support both levels.  A wire rope with knots was added for decoration.

You can see how the walls not have jagged edges and there are holes from shells drilled though the walls.  The amount of destruction is really a ma…

A look at some Citadel Paints

I was using some of my paints today and noticed something very interesting about the new paint range.  Not all of the pots are made equal.

If you look at #6, inside the blue circle is a cap hold upon device that uses friction to hold the cap open.  Its like a little rubber ramp.  Number 7, bought from the same store doesn't have it.  I bought 4 paints just recently and two had them and two didn't.  And it was random, I bought 2 base colors and only one had the ramp.  The layer I bought had one, but the technical primer did not.

Citadel Piants have 2 problems that I'll discuss:

1. A problem that arises with all of these paints is that when shaken up, a fair amount of paint sticks to the lid and then drips.  Where it drips depends on the cap design.  All of these caps are designed with an inner protrusion that is meant to direct the cap paint back into the bottle.  Lets look at them by type:
The inner protrusion fits snugly against the cap, so almost all of the paint drains …