Skip to main content

Building our Ruined Building Part 3

Welcome back,  we are ready to add some battle damage to our perfectly rectangular wall sections and get our ruined building finished up.

My tools used were a cordless drill with a 3/8" (10mm) bit and a pair of diagonal wire cutters.  Before I began, I coated all of the foam in PVA glue and a liberal dusting of sand.  I also coated the upper floors to add some texture.  I also used many pieces of cut up sprue to fill in the gaps where it might not be obvious that models were not supposed to be placed in that spot.  I took some pieces of sprue and used them to brace the upper floors.  Although the for sale sign was good thick plastic, it still flexed enough to concern me.  I used super glue to hold the sprue in place.  In the below view you can see the post added to support both levels.  A wire rope with knots was added for decoration.

You can see how the walls not have jagged edges and there are holes from shells drilled though the walls.  The amount of destruction is really a matter of taste, as long as your ruin can fit models easily and it's easy to tell if you are supposed to be able to see the models inside the ruin. In the below image, you can see I removed a good section of the right corner on the second level to increase visibility.


I contoured the foam at the rear entrance with a drum sanding attachment on my drill.  I made sure to make two depressions like the tracks would leave after many entries and exits. 


I made a ladder out of some craft sticks I had.  I feel it's nice to show how the models will get into a ruin and since the first/ground level is blocked on this side, a ladder was the obvious choice.  In my mind, this ruin has been occupied many times and a previous resident left the ladder behind.


After I was finished with the damage it was off to painting.  I primed the whole ruin flat black and then drybrushed the entire thing with a gray craft paint.  I had to remove my predator sponsons to get it to fit easily, but it is non-standard.  Some might blame the ladder on the right or the pole on the left.  I just say if it doesn't fit, it can't get in.








I had a great time building this.  Please let me know what you think of this building and what you think would be a great rules-compliant, usability-focused, terrain project.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making a Dagob-4-H Pattern Chimera

This post will show you how to make a Dagob-4-H pattern Chimera from a standard kit and 3D printed parts.  This is an intermediate level conversion, and should not be undertaken without careful consideration.

This is the painted version of the modified Chimera.  It looks unique, but is still recognizable as a Chimera.


Below you can see the painted one and an unpainted version.  Helpfully, the 3D printed parts have been printed in red PLA.


So what do we need?  One full Chimera kit, and 3 printed pieces.  The .stl files can be found here.

Open the kit and remove the following components.  While a razor saw, like the one shown below is not required, the conversion will be much harder without it.  Also, razor saws are very, sharp.  Some might say they are as sharp as a RAZOR.  Please be careful when cutting.



Starting with the rear hull top, we will cut off the two triangles in the rear as shown below.

Once they are removed, the piece will lay flat.  We will now remove the front half.

Beca…

A look at some Citadel Paints

I was using some of my paints today and noticed something very interesting about the new paint range.  Not all of the pots are made equal.

If you look at #6, inside the blue circle is a cap hold upon device that uses friction to hold the cap open.  Its like a little rubber ramp.  Number 7, bought from the same store doesn't have it.  I bought 4 paints just recently and two had them and two didn't.  And it was random, I bought 2 base colors and only one had the ramp.  The layer I bought had one, but the technical primer did not.

Citadel Piants have 2 problems that I'll discuss:

1. A problem that arises with all of these paints is that when shaken up, a fair amount of paint sticks to the lid and then drips.  Where it drips depends on the cap design.  All of these caps are designed with an inner protrusion that is meant to direct the cap paint back into the bottle.  Lets look at them by type:
The inner protrusion fits snugly against the cap, so almost all of the paint drains …